Stuck in a hair rut? Here are three styles to add to your repertoire. We spoke with Joey Scandizzo, three-time Australian Hairdresser of the Year and Co-Creative Director of ELEVEN Australia, for his advice. He shares three party-season styles, along with tips on how to guarantee a flawless finish every time.
Check out Joey’s step-by-step guide to a textured pony, braided up style and loose waves below, and finish the 2016 party season with style.
THE TEXTURED PONY
This is a fantastic and relaxed look that compliments so many necklines and works well with hair accessories or statement earrings.
To achieve this look…
- Apply Miracle Hair Treatment and Sea Salt Texture Spray to damp hair: this combination will smooth down flyaways and create the texture you’re after.
- Blast dry hair with your head upside down for added volume.
- Section your hair in two, separating the top and bottom.
- Secure the bottom section with an elastic in a tight ponytail.
- Take the top section and back comb the roots to create volume and texture.
- Using your fingers, tame the top section down over the existing ponytail and join the top section to the pony with an elastic.
- Gently pull some hair out around the front for softness.
- Finish with spray to keep everything in place.
Braids are a modern way to wear your hair up. Incorporating a variety of different braids and textures amps up the look and gives your hair more of an edge.
To achieve this look
- Apply Miracle Hair Treatment and I Want Body Volume Foam to damp hair to detangle and create manageability while adding volume – the perfect texture before you begin to braid.
- Blast hair dry.
- Section your hair into two sections, from the front to the back where a headband would rest.
- Secure the back section into a high ponytail with an elastic.
- Twist the ponytail around until it twists back on itself creating a bun and secure with pins.
- Create a side part in the front section.
- On the side with the least amount of hair, create 3 small tight braids.
- Take the ends of the braids and pull them up, incorporating them into the bun by twisting around, secure this with pins.
- Use the palm of your hand and rub all over the braids encouraging flyaway ends and a soft finish.
- Finish the look with spray.
GLAM LOOSE LOCKS
This is a great way to style your hair if you are wanting to wear it out – the volume and texture gives the style longevity to take you from daytime to evening.
To achieve this look
- Firstly apply Miracle Hair Treatment to damp hair (the UVA and UVB filters will protect your hair).
- Then apply I Want Body Volume Spray to damp hair to create that desired bounce
- Blast dry with your hair upside down until it is 80% dry.
- Use a large round brush to finish blowdrying and create a wave through the mid-lengths and ends.
- Shake out with your fingers and finish with more I Want Body Volume Spray for a dry, textured look.
Hair in all images styled by Joey Scandizzo, photographed by Andrew O’Toole.