Guuuuuys – it’s FASHION WEEK!!! Okay, so we know it’s not as major or sartorially groundbreaking as other fash week’s around the world but it’s still a big deal! And the styles that have been hitting the runway so far have been all kinds of exciting.
First, a few things you need to know about MBFWA…
- It’s rebranded. This year, the event will showcase designer’s “Resort Collections” – and it’s also been moved a few weeks forward (to early May, rather than April). Both decisions were made in the hope of attracting more international buyers and increasing the global audience. More here.
- There are some majors coming. Oscar de la Renta will be showing for the first time in the finale (obvs) runway show on Friday 20 May. It-girl Bella Hadid walked for Misha Collection on Monday, and stunning Australian model Shanina Shaik is gracing the runway for Oscar de la Renta on Friday night – the model herself confirming the news yesterday.
- You can shop the looks right now. This year, some of the designs are available immediately, no epic wait to see them in store. Capsule collections will sell through the MBFWA site – shopping straight off the runway? Yes please.
- Swim is up next. The first half of the week showcased Resort from Australia’s best-known designers. Thursday is swim and activewear (look out for P.E Nation by Pip Edwards and Claire Tregoning). Friday is finale, featuring Oscar de la Renta.
- Shows are held all over Sydney – some in cool locations (like rooftop terraces), some on boats, most at Carriageworks in Eveleigh.
Here’s a wrap of the what’s been going on so far…
DAY ONE: MATICEVSKI
DAY TWO: GINGER & SMART
DAY TWO: MISHA COLLECTION
DAY TWO: DION LEE
DAY THREE: MACGRAW
DAY THREE: BEC & BRIDGE
DAY THREE: BIANCA SPENDER
Images via Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week